Sunday, June 1, 2014

Nairo Quintana Wins 2014 Giro d'Italia in Trieste


In beautiful sunshine and before huge and enthusiastic crowds in Trieste today, Nairo Quintana (Movistar Team) was confirmed as the 2014 Giro d’Italia champion. He finished the stage safely, the General Classification remained unchanged, with Rigoberto Urán (Omega Pharma - Quick-Step) second at 2’58” and Fabio Aru (Astana Procycling) third at 4’04”.



In the sprint finish beside Piazza Unitá d’Italia, Luka Mezgec (Giant Shimano) became the first ever Slovenian stage winner in the Giro d’Italia, to the joy of the Slovenian fans, who had crossed the nearby border in great numbers. Second in the sprint was Giacomo Nizzolo (Trek Fractory Racing), while Tyler Farrar (Garmin Sharp) was third.

JERSEYS
Maglia Rosa – Balocco: Nairo Quintana (Team Movistar)
Maglia Rossa – Algida: Nacer Bouhanni (FDJ.FR)
Maglia Bianca – F.lli Orsero: Nairo Quintana (Team Movistar)
Maglia Azzurra – Banca Mediolanum: Julián Arredondo (Trek Factory Racing)


After the final presentations Quintana spoke to the press:


A dream come true: “I dreamed about winning the Giro. but every rider dreams. Last year, after I finished 2nd in the Tour, my dream seemed much closer. It was a precocious dream, and I’m still very young, with my 24 years, but I’ve won the race that I dreamed of.”

No words: “I feel great happiness. even if I don’t have words to express it. I feel huge emotions inside. To see so many people celebrating - Italian, Colombians, my family - it’s really wonderful.”

Dedication: “The podium was emotional. I dedicate my victory to my team. Without them I’d never have reached Trieste as the winner. And when I say team, I mean everyone: the soigneurs, the mechanics, the press officer, everyone who was close to me. I also dedicate it to my family who came from Colombia to support me, and to my Colombian compatriots. I hope they enjoy this win.”

Colombia: “I hope people will see now that Colombia isn’t what it was 20 years ago. It has changed a lot. Life is peaceful and good now. Small steps have been taken towards peace: a process is going on now, and I hope in my heart that the progress that is happening now will come to fruition.”

Content for the Italian Cycling Journal is now based upon contributions from readers. Please contribute. Stories about rides, granfondos, touring, having a good time cycling in Italy, Italian cycling history, racing, etc. are always welcome. Contact me at veronaman@gmail.com.   


No comments:

Post a Comment